Sunday, 2 June 2013

National Trust Erddig Visit and Competition

With another day of sunshine ahead of us we decided to make the most of it and see if the boys could complete anymore of their “50 things to do before you’re 11¾” list.  I have such a high opinion of National Trust visits after our day out at Chirk Castle and Erddig proved to be just as popular with my two boys, hubbie and myself.

Cook on a campfire

Erddig had laid one on especially for the campaign and staff were available to “safely” introduce children to their first campfire experience.  My two enjoyed toasting their marshmallows and then squishing them in-between two digestive biscuits (for an extra £1.50 each it was money well spent!  Although neither hubbie nor I got even had a nibble they were wolfed down!).

Make a mud pie

Hunt for bugs

I liked how Erddig provided children with little bug magnifying containers and a booklet of the bugs they were most likely to spot with information about them.

Go bird watching

Erddig had binoculars on hand and a booklet of birds you could loan during your stay.  It made the visit that little bit extra special with my boys being equipped like real trackers and they enjoyed spotting a Moorhen sitting on a nest of eggs on the water.

You would have thought completing four of the challenges would have worn them out but they still wanted to explore the historic house and play area (called the Wolf's Den).  They particularly enjoyed the Children’s Trail, which asked questions about the rooms they were walking around and really got the boys thinking about life over the last 250 years.

Plenty of outdoor space at Erddig for children to burn off LOTS of energy!

I have another chance to win a family pass for one visit to a National Trust property of your choice within Wales.  To enter please complete the rafflecopter below by the 15th of June.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

1. Dyffryn Gardens

2. Lyn Bosomworth8 June 2013 at 12:38

any castle with a large garden would be lovely for a visit

3. Dinefwr Park and Castle in Llandeilo

4. I've never been to Chirk, so I'm plumping for that

5. Harlech castle please

6. We love Penrhyn Castle in Bangor so would love to visit again :D

7. Laura Pritchard10 June 2013 at 20:21

Hughenden Manor in High Wycombe

8. Christopher Powell11 June 2013 at 10:40

The Tudor Merchants House in Tenby is supposed to be a good day out so I would like to visit there, though I've also heard it's small so not sure a full day would be needed, so could hit the beach then!

9. l live in Wales so l know what a great choice there is........l would need to consult with my grandchildren however before l make my decision though

10. Mary-Ann Pollard12 June 2013 at 11:06

I would love to visit any and all desinations as I never got a chance to do trips like this when I was a child. Would be lovely to take my little brother and sister!

11. My little girl has pick Harlech Castle :0))))

12. I'd love to visit one of the castles

13. Jennie Jackson Mse14 June 2013 at 12:53

Penrhyn Castle in Bangor

14. Bodnant gardens are probably stunning this time of year

15. Would love to visit a Castle.

16. Would love to visit chirk castle

17. Harlech Castle

18. Erddig looks like an amazing day out

19. My partner is Welsh and I love to visit. There are so many great places to see and I get to hear him speak his native tongue, lol. I think I'd go for Chirk castle if I won :-)

20. ayesha rajapaksha15 June 2013 at 11:02

love to visit to a castle

21. Sarah Tammy Harris15 June 2013 at 11:58

Would be a lovely break with the children :)

22. Looks as we will be going to Brecon in the caravan.

23. would be lovely to to get the children out in the elements!!!

24. would be nice to go to a castle i love them