Thursday, 24 March 2016

Changing your child’s name by Deed Poll

It’s a big decision picking out a name for your child when they are born, a name that will stay with them for a long section of their lives.  Some of us pick out names easily whilst others dwell over it for a long time even after the birth.  Sometimes it helps to meet your child to find the most suitable name for them.

But even when you have settled on a name it might no longer work, the child might want to alter their name themselves, a girl has done this in my youngest son’s class – she was a Sophie but was determined to be known as Sophia, to make that change official its so simple to go through a Deed Poll service.

When I was in school we had a Jane but she decided in secondary school the spelling was not fancy enough for her and changed to Jayne.  Obviously there are bigger more pressing reasons children need to change their names but its surprising how many just want to take control of their own name and not leave it to the decision first made by their parents. 

We use the shortened version of my son’s name, but I have not used Deed Poll as of yet as he might want to use the full version when he is older, but if he decides he prefers the shortened version its so easy to go through the Child Deed Poll Service.  It only takes three minutes and the website is secure and safe to use.  The process is very clear and only costs £9.99.  Just reading the reviews reassures you that it’s a system that really works and previous customers seem very happy with their experiences.

The documents are legally binding, so will be accepted by every government organisation, making it a sure-fire way to get their name sorted.  It can all be done online in the comfort of your own home.

You enter your child’s details; current title and names, and then fill out what you want the new title and names to be.  It asks you to carefully check the information is correct, well worth doing, as it would be a shame to make an error.  They will ask if your child was born in the United Kingdom and ask for details regarding the parental responsibility including the full name details of those individuals.  It's helpful it lets you know how much of the form you have left to complete as a percentage.

Once your documents arrive in the post you just need a witness to sign them and you can begin to notify everyone of the name change.

I am glad I know more about the process so if my boys did ever decide to change their names I am familiar with what I would need to do.

1 comment:

  1. I changed my eldest girls surname using a deed poll service years ago and there was nothing too it....I thought it was going to be much more of a faff.